Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day of ZIP Arrival Feb 20, 2012

After a long wait the special ZIP System with 1 inch of foam attached had arrived at the construction site.

I had already caulked the bottom of the studs (even though the 3 inch rain we had washed out much of it).  The crew then caulked under the moisture block which was placed under the ZIP System.  All to keep water out of the wall and to make the wall as air tight as possible.


This guy was concerned I was taking his picture and asked me if I was from OSHA.  I told him, "Don't worry, you have your hard hat on!"


This is the front of the garage and the house.  The garage has the normal ZIP with no foam and the bedroom has the ZIP with the extra 1-inch foam to eliminate any thermal bridging through the 2x6 studs.  The crew weren't nailing at the 6 inch spacing on the edges and the 12 inch spacing in the field so I had them go back and add the extra nails.  Also, I pointed out they were sinking the nails too deeply.  They didn't like that either but they modified the power on their guns.  You can also see the moisture block on the bottom of the panels.


This is the owner of AXIS FRAMING, Lann Brizantine.  He is inspecting the back porch eaves and soffitts which were a puzzle with the different lengths and overhangs.


The crew continued with the front.


While Antonio worked on the edges of the roof on the back porch.



At this point I noticed they had nailed the soffitt board to the wall without taping the joints of the ZIP....bad, bad, bad.  So they had to take the board down  (they love to use that nail gun) and tape the seams of the ZIP.  They didn't like that either.  After a little while, they wouldn't even look at me so I had Fred, the Built Green Supervisor,  tell them how to put the panels on but I think they still knew it was me slowing them down.


Here's how the house looked late in the day with most of wall panels on and some of the roof on.


It's beginning to look like a real house!

No comments:

Post a Comment