Saturday, December 10, 2011

Electrical Highway Easement

Yea.  I received approval for the easement over the 5-lane highway in front of my property.  I had been waiting for this approval for almost 5 weeks.  The bad news was PEC told me it would now take 4 to 6 weeks to get the poles put up and electricity hooked up.

While I was out at the property yesterday talking to foundation contractors, I noticed a guy marking the driveway with paint.  He told me he was hired by the utilities to mark locations of phone, electrical and water.  I said, "But, there aren't any utilities where you are marking."

He said, "Yes, that is true but there will be electrical within a day or two when the pole is installed, before rain has a chance to wash away the markings."

So I may get electrical before we start the slab and not have to pay for a generator.  That would be less expense.  I am always looking for ways to reduce those expenses.  One guy told me that a "pumper" would be needed due to all the rocks.  The concrete guys would not drive on them since they could pop a tire--increased expense.

Talking to all these contractors is certainly interesting.  One guy gave me about 15 references to other local contractors that he was either friends with and would vouch for their character or knew they had good reputations.  He even went so far as to ask me if I had problems with any of them, to LET HIM KNOW.  I asked him what he would do if there were problems and he said, "I'll quit recommending them.  They hurt me when they don't do a good job."

I like that.  Good ole Texas Boys. Once you tap into that network, it really can be beneficial.  Several of them asked me who owned the cattle on my place and they knew Danni Cranor and spoke well of him.  Danni is a great guy and had put up all the fencing and the double gate on my property.  One of the contractors had just returned from Las Vegas and the Rodeo where he had a friend in the roping contest.  REAL TEXANS.

No comments:

Post a Comment