Thursday, March 8, 2012

March 6, 2012 Tuesday Polishing Continues

They were back at it on Tuesday starting before light to get as much grinding in as possible.


Beginning to see and feel the smoothness of the concrete.  I think it is going to be a nice floor, unique at least.


It may not be visible but the aggregate in the concrete is beginning to show through.  Still a lot of concrete dust on floor but when it is wet, it is beginning to show character!




See how the floor is beginning to show some shine.  The crew just keeps telling me to be patient...it is going to be great.


This piece of equipment was used for getting close to the walls since the other large one just had too big of a diameter.  They used this machine as well as hand grinders.  There is another machine also in the background.  I bet we had 6 pieces of equipment on site and if there were more than 3 guys, they would probably have all been in use.  This is on the back porch which had that salt treatment.  I was very interested to see how the grinding made this cement look.


One more piece of equipment in the garage along with the final treatment of Tung Oil.  Remi said his company was the only one using this type of sealing of the concrete for residential customers such as me.  


This is Remigio Garcia, owner of Texas Concrete Floors.  Very handsome and especially nice guy.  What hard workers all the crew was.  They again worked on Tuesday night until it was too dark to see the floor.


They used LOTS of water.  I lost count of how many 5 gal buckets of water they used at about 40 since I was getting the water from my house 5-gal bucket by 5-gal bucket.  I joked that they should call me "the water girl".  By the end of the day, I knew we had to do something different because they were using water faster than I could supply it.


This is the front porch which won't get as much polishing as the interior but they smoothed it out and took the top off so the Tung Oil would be able to soak in.


This is my contraption for providing water that I thought would be adequate.  It consists off  two 350 gal tanks, a connection that I figured out from about 6 connectors and reducers from the 2-inch outlet on the tank, a small sump pump used for pumping out spills.  Interestingly the pump had to be primed each time it was turned on with vegetable oil.  That is the little capped bottle sitting on the block.  You can also see the level of the water in the tank.  This was about 75 gal.  I was surprised at the power of this little pump as it pumped water with pretty good force for over 200 feet and when the water ran out, began to collapse the tank.  We almost burned it up before we could get it unplugged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment