Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Monday March 26, 2012 Who made the Hole?

Monday started out to be a good day.  The plumbers had completed the test on the water lines after much hassle about how to put pressure on the lines without any pressure or water except for the little 350 gallon tank and a 1.5 HP electric pump and 200 ft of hose.  We had found that all the outside faucets had a vacuum lock on them which did not allow water to be inserted into the lines.  That had to be taken off by the Plumber.  I had to figure out the hose connections to keep from burning up the pump when we were able to put water into the lines and build up a little pressure.

We were able to do all that and while I waited for the plumber to come put some air pressure in the lines, Anh, my Plumber Supervisor, told me to prep the tubs by filling them up with water for a gravity water test.  Fine. As I was taking the protection off the tubs, I noticed what looked like a bug on the side of the tub.


It wasn't a bug but I guessed it was a chip.  So I began my search for the crew who did the damage.


The chip seemed in a strange place.  It wasn't from something falling on the tub and I had covered the tub with OSB just as BGCH had warned me to do to protect it from damage.



So I went around to the Bedroom side of the wall and there I could see that it wasn't just a chip but was in fact a hole from an impact from this side of the tub.  I immediately assumed a steel tub would only sustain that kind of damage from a nail gun so I assumed it was the framers since they were the only ones with nail guns.  Lann, Framing Supervisor, came over immediately and he thought it was from a reciprocating saw where the support brace had been cut to install the outlet box--not Framers but Electricians were the culprits.  When Anh arrived for the water test, he agreed that it was done by the Electricians and he gave me a price to replace the tub and said he could get to it this week if I could get another tub.  Chris, Electrical Supervisor, came over right away and could not argue that the evidence was pretty clear that his crew caused the damage.  


I then had to hussle over to Home Depot about 30 miles away to get another tub.  I was concerned since I had gone through 5 tubs getting two good ones without chips so I didn't know if I was going to find another right handed one.  I did find one and had them open it up to make sure it wasn't damaged.  Looked good as far as they opened it up so I brought it back to the house and scheduled the replacement of the current damaged tub.

Not a good day but at least the damage was found before we had drywall up.

No comments:

Post a Comment