Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday March 27. 2012 Rockwork Continues

The Masons did not show up on Monday but were back and working hard on Tuesday.  In addition, the Plumber had been able to pressurize my PEX water system to 125 PSI and it was still at 100 PSI after 12 hours....yipppeee...no leaks!  I will leave pressure in the lines until TOP-OUT which is when all the appliances, sinks, faucets are connected so we can tell quickly if there are any punctures of the water lines.




This is the window (doesn't open) in the gable.  I had previously wanted an arched window but they were just ridiculous in price and the Mason, Antonio, provided me with an arch of rock.  He was very proud of it and wanted me to take a picture of his work.  Of course, I was glad to brag on his work.


The gable was over 15 feet high and as I was watching Antonio put in the mortar and stones, some of the stones rolled off the roof right towards me.  One of the crew stepped in front of me to protect me from the falling rock.  Luckily he didn't get hit and neither did Ibut that was quick thinking on his part and I appreciated it.  (I bought them all lunch that day.)


We are getting close to finish!  Isn't it beautiful?  And the crew is starting to clean up the rubble around the house.


Back wall.


North side of Garage still being worked on.  Notice also, there is now a black membrane on the roof to protect against leaks.  The ZIP tape just did not adhere to the OSB to keep out the water.


Hard working crew taking a break.  Great Crew!  Chava is the Supervisor, Leader, Owner of the Masonry Company (Bearded in dark shirt--actually his name is Salvador Marin)



Garage West side is waiting on the 17 foot 4x6 3/8 inch angle iron.  The masonry supplier sent a 117 inch 4x6 angle iron which luckily I caught their mistake while the delivery truck was still on site but the masons will have to wait for a day to get the 17 footer.


Garage North Side Completed.


Back is totally completed.


The Framers came back and furred-in the large tubes that exhaust stale air and bring in fresh air for the Energy Recovery Ventilation System.  This will be covered with drywall.


The front door still remains a problem for me since I wanted a more distinctive frame around the door.  I finally decided to "fake" sidelights and a transome.  I had a plugin put on the outside with a switch inside for LED rope lights that will be behind stained glass and a frame painted to match the double french doors.  I know--WHAT?  Just wait, it will be BEAUTIFUL and energy efficient since....no leaks since it will be sealed in front of the ZIP System and not actual leaky sidelights and transome.


The masons still don't have the rock at the bottom of the threshold for the double french doors but the header looks good.


They still have the little gable to do as well but made much progress in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment