Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wednesday April 04, 2012 Roofing Starts

Not much going on since the Home Tour...doing some cleanup and trying to get the deadbolts in the doors and trying to figure out how to put in the Great Stuff Insulation without it spreading all over the windows.  I made a mess with the garage windows and one of the things I learned is don't let it set up too long.  Too short a period and it is sticky and too long, it becomes rock-like.  I tried taping first with blue painters tape but that just tears when the foam has set.

I asked the "experts" at Home Depot and their suggestion is, "It just sticks to everything, if you find out how to get it off the windows or to keep it from sticking, let us know."  That was a lot of help.  Any suggestions out there?

I tried Acetone and a product called Lift Off and WD-40 on the dried-on foam and nothing is easy..most still leave a rough surface.  I am afraid to damage the finish on the fiberglass so I am being cautious about what I use.

I am trying now to tape the window frame first with some strong tape, spray the cracks, let the foam expand for about 10 minutes.  When it starts to harden and has kind of a crust on it, pull the tape off the window and the foam sticks to the tape and breaks at the edge of the window and the extra comes off.  The edge is clean.  Even at this stage, don't touch the foam because it will still stick to you and is terrible to get off.  I just drop the tape and foam attached to it on the floor which is covered with DOW Blue Board.  I have found that the foam will pop right off the DOW Board once it has dried.

If I could just cover the windows with DOW Board, that would be the solution to the sticking issue---but too much trouble and is expensive.

The metal roof installation began today.


This truck bed was the panel forming station for the metal roof.  The guy looks like he is just loafing but he is figuring all the lengths and size of the standing seams and widths to be built.


The metal panels just roll off these rolls and are formed by the folding machine at about 1 foot every 2 seconds once it gets rolling.

The valleys and peaks were previously formed and appeared to be out of a thicker metal than the panels.

They set up a track to keep the panels from bending as they come off the machine.

Once the length was cut, they were laid by length on supports on the ground...again they were careful not to bend the panels.

Lots and lots of clips since they seem to screw the edge of the panel on one side then overlap the next panel and lock it in so the clips don't show.


Just as they had the drip edge on and started putting in the valleys, they realized they didn't have a square to make sure the lines were straight...so off they went to the hardware store to purchase one...you would think they would have the tools they need when they arrive at a  job

The panels are stacking up...but still no square so they can go to work...I think they stopped for lunch --at 10am????

Work begins as can be seen on the Garage roof.  

These two guys were on the corner of the Garage roof--with no safety ropes.  The one guy was bracing himself on the vice clamp.  I would not have trusted it.  I asked him if he had ever fallen and he said, "Yeah, just a few weeks ago I slid off a roof and broke the Achilles tendon on the back of my foot."  The other guy is screwing in the clips on the next panel.

As seems to be usual, the guy on the ground who is doing the supplying of the materials (just as in the masonry work) kept things moving and was a great worker.  The crew is now over the back porch and making good progress but it was hot on that roof and about 4pm-hottest part of the day.

One thing I noticed they did was to make the last crimp at the valley on the roof to the exact measurements to meet the center of the valley.  This guy was doing it very efficiently and accurately...I guess anyway - as far as I could see from the ground.  The pipe sticking up is the pipe for the wood stove.


Moving on up the roof.  I can see some what is called "oil canning" or rippling in the panels but it is a metal roof and I don't mind it at all.  I like the fact the sun heat is being reflected, rainwater will slide cleanly off and it is durable and will withstand damage from hail.  I even find the pattern of the ridges interesting and artistic...

OK time for me to go home..I am getting a little strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment